Buying decision, Preferred TV programs, Television (TV), Television commercials (TVCs), TV watching pattern, TV watching time
The size of the teenage population is quite large in developing countries (1.6 billion), compared to the developed countries (240 million). The identical trend is also available in Bangladesh where the teenagers are about 21% of the total population. TV and TVCs have a major influence on the buying decisions of Bangladeshi middle-class teenagers like other developing counties, even with the emergence of digital and social media. As such, the research is focusing on the influence of TVCs in buying decision of the middle-class urban teenagers of Bangladesh. An elaborated multi-step research method including pertinent literature review, expert in-depth interview, focus group discussions and a structured questionnaire survey has been accomplished. Microsoft Excel and SPSS version 21 were used for the analysis of survey data. The study has observed that 95% of urban teens watch TV either regularly or occasionally, where females were more inclined (97%) to watch TV than males (93%). The majority of teens watch TV at night (71%) and in the evening (21%). The teens are found to prefer sports the most (41%) followed by drama serials (29%). The study has revealed that 89% of the respondents watch TVCs regularly or occasionally. The study has also explored that 67% of urban teens are influenced by TVCs to make purchase decisions, while the late teens were more influenced by TVCs (71%) than the early teens (62%). Majority of the respondents are fascinated by models or celebrities (65%) to watch the TVCs. These research findings will assist marketers and business professionals of Bangladesh as well as similar developing countries to target specific teenage segments, types of TVCs, peak hour of airing TVCs and models or celebrity endorsement while prepare cost effective brand communication plan.
Full Text : PDF
- Abbas, Zamin R., & Bari, A. (2011). Advertisement & Islam: A Muslim World Perspective. Australian Journal of Business & Management Research, 1(6), 152-1.
- Abideen, Z. U., & Saleem, S. (2011). Effective advertising & its influence on consumer buying behavior. European Journal of Business & Management, 3(3), 55-65.
- Adiko, A. E. & Adjei, D (2016). The Influence of Television Advertisement on the Youth Purchasing Behavior.
- Ahmed, B. (2013). Impact of brand image & advertisement on consumer buying behavior. World Applied Sciences Journal, 23(1), 117-122.
- Anjum, B., Iram, A. & Naheed (2015). Impact of Television Advertisement on Consumer Buying Behavior: The Moderating Role of Religiosity in the context of Pakistan, IIJSR, Vol.1 No.3 pp. 36-48.
- Anwar, S. (2012). Young consumers’ attitude towards television advertisements in the internet age. ZENITH International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 2(4).
- Barve, G., Sood, A., Nithya, S. &Virmani, T (2015). Effects of advertising on youth (age group 13-19 years age). Journal of mass communication & journalism, 5; 260.
- BBS (2011). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, Population Monograph of Bangladesh, BBS, Government of Bangladesh.
- BES (2015), Bangladesh Education Statistic 2015, Bangladesh Bureau of Educational Information & Statistics, Ministry of Education.
- Farooq, Q., Shafique, N., Khurshid, M.M., & Ahmad, N. (2015). Impact of comic factor in TV ads on buying behavior of university students. International Letters of Social & Humanistic Sciences, 8(1), 12-20.
- Jain, S. (2014).Impact of advertisement on the consumer behavior a case study of some selected FMCG products in union territory of Chandigarh.
- Kaliyaperumal, N. & Rajakrisnan, S. V. (2015). Impact of Television Advertisement on Buying Behavior Regarding Customer Satisfaction & Commitment in Nagapattinam District. International Journal of Advanced Scientific Research & Development, Volume – 2, Issue – 2 (April – Jan’15), 86 – 93.
- Lawan, L.A. and Zanna, R. (2013), Evaluation of Socio-Cultural Factors Influencing Consumer Buying Behavior of Clothes in Borno Sate, Nigeria, International Journal of Basic and Applied Science, VOl 01, No. 03, pp. 519-529.
- Patel, G. & Jain, R. (2015).Impact of TV advertisement on youth buying behavior. Pioneer journal of IT & Management.
- PRB (2016).World Population Data Sheet 2006, Population Reference Bureau, USAID, USA.
- Ramya, N. and SA Mohamed Ali, M. SA., (2016), Factors affecting consumer buying behavior, International Journal of Applied Research, 2(10): 76-80.
- Rani, N, & Sharma, V. (2014). Impact of television commercial on purchasing behavior of masses. International journal of science & research (IJSR).ISSN (online): 2319-7264, Television of Bangladesh. Bangladesh.com. Archived from the original on December 2008.Retrieved 2008-12-18.
- Rehman, F., Nawaz, T., Khan, A., & Hyder, S. (2014). How Advertising Affects the Buying Behavior of Consumers in Rural Areas: A Case of Pakistan.
- Vani, G., Babu, M. G., & Panchanatham, N. (2011). Consumer Buying Behavior Model for Toothpastes. Indian Journal of Marketing, 41(10).
- Virvilaite, R., & Matuleviciene, M. (2013). The impact of shocking advertising to consumer buying behavior. Economics &Management, 18(1), 134-141.
- Walter, T., & Davie, G. (1998).There ligiosity of women in the modern West. British Journal of Sociology, 640-660.
- Waqas, A., Aslam, N. M., Bilal, M., & Umair, M. (2014). Impact of TV advertisement on Children Buying Behavior. International Journal of Humanities & Social Science, Vol. 4 No. 2 [Special Issue], 246-261.
- Zaltman, G. (2003). How customers think: Essential insights into the mind of the market: Harvard Business Press.
- Zaltman, G., Dotlich, D. L., &Cairo, P. C. (2003). How customers think: Audio-Tech Business Book Summaries.