brand reputation, brand trust, franchise, Malaysia, international brand, local brand.
This study is an exploratory study that identify brand trust, customer satisfaction, and purchase intention between an international brand and Malaysia/local brand among Malaysian. A set of questionnaires was developed to test the brand trust, brand reputation, customer satisfaction, and purchase intention. 40 questionnaires were distributed and all are usable for the purpose of this study. The findings showed that the international franchise brand is more preferable than the local franchise brand. The purchase intention has a direct positive relationship with customer satisfaction (p=0.000), and brand trust (p=0.000). Few areas were highlighted to enable local franchise to improve their brand trust, brand reputation, customer satisfaction, and purchase intention of customers in Malaysia.
Full Text : PDF
- Aggarwal, P. (2004). The effects of brand relationship norms on consumer attitudes and behaviour. Journal of Consumer Research, 31(1), pp. 87-101.
- Alan, A.K., and Kabaday, E.T. (2014). Quality antecedents of brand trust and behavioural intention, 10th International Strategic Management Conference.Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 150, pp. 619-627.
- Amblee, N., and Bui, T. (2008). Can brand reputation improve the odds of being reviewed on-line? International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 12(3), pp. 11-28.
- Ballouli, K., Grady, J., and Stewart, R. (2015). The delicate art of rebranding a minor league baseball franchise: Practices, pitfalls, and payoffs of rebranding the Winston-Salem Warthogs. Sport Management Review, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.smr.2015.04.001.
- Baucus, D.A., Baucus, M.S., and Human, S.E. (1996). Consensus in Franchise Organisations: A Cooperative Arrangement among Entrepreneurs. Journal of Business Venturing, 11 (5), pp. 359-378.
- Chang, K.C., Chen, M.C., and Hsu, C.L. (2010). Applying loss aversion to assess the effect of customers’ asymmetric responses to service quality on post-dining behavioural intentions: An empirical survey in the restaurant sector. International Journal of Hospital Management, 29, pp. 620-631. (doi:10.1016/j.ijhm.2009.11.004).
- Ebert, R.J., and Griffin, R.W. (2000). Business Essentials. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
- Fernandez, B.L., and Bayon, S.L. (2011), Economic Rents in Franchising: Do they exist? Economics Letters, 113, pp. 195-198.
- Hallowell, R. (1996). The relationships of customer satisfaction, customer loyalty, and profitability: an empirical study. International Journal of Service Industry Management, 7(4), pp. 27-42.
- Lin, M.M. (June 13, 2015), Franchise industry to create 50,000 new jobs as 11MP plans for 2020, says PM, The MalayMail Online, Available at:
- http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/franchise-industry-to-create-50000-new-jobs-as-11mp-plan-for-2020-says-pm#sthash.yP6GWJZs.dpuf [Accessed, 31st August 2015].
- MFA Website, Available at:www.mfa.org.my [Accessed: 28 Sept. 2015].
- Morgan-Thomas, A., and Veloutsou, C. (2013). Beyond technology acceptance: brand relationships and online brand experience. Journal of Business Research, 66(1), pp. 21-27.
- Muhamad, H.M.S. (2015, August 3). 60 Jenama Francais di 55 Negara, Sinar Harian, p. 18.
- Kumar, M., Talib, S.A., and Ramayah, T. (2013). Business Research Methods. Shah Alam: Oxford Fajar Sdn. Bhd.
- Murphy, K.B. (2006). The Franchise Investors Handbook. Florida: Atlantic Publishing Group.
- Nyadzayo, M.W., Matanda, M.J., and Ewing. M.T. (2015).The impact of franchisor support, brand commitment, brand citizenship behaviour, and franchisee experience on franchisee-perceived brand image.Journal of Business Research, 68, pp. 1886-
- 1894.http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2014.12.008 0148-2963.
- Nyadzayo, M.W., Matanda, M.J., and Ewing. M.T. (2011). Brand relationships and brand equity in franchising.Industrial Marketing Management, 40, pp. 1103-1115.
- Palmer, A. (2012). Introduction to Marketing Theory and Practice. 3rd edition, United Kingdom: Oxford.
- Shay, M. (2007). The brain behind franchising-Branding.Franchising World, May, pp. 8.
- Sidhpuria, M.V. (2009). Retail Franchising. New Delhi: Tata McGraw-Hill.
- Webber, R. (2013). An Introduction to Franchising. Great Britain: Palgrave MacMillan, MPG Books Group.