spin-off; deposit fund; panel regression; Islamic banks
The purpose of this paper is to analyze the impact of spin-off policy that based on Islamic Banking Act No. 21/2008 to the deposit fund growth of Islamic banking industry in Indonesia. This research used panel regression with fixed effect. The variable used in this paper is spin-off variable that used as a dummy variable, and also included the internal factor of industry such as deposit margin, and efficiency ratio (measured by BOPO). Besides the internal element, this research also added the external factor such as economic growth rate, and net interest margin from conventional banking. The result showed that the dummy spin-off variable, operational efficiency ratio (BOPO) and growth rate had an impact on the deposit funds in four Islamic banks. The implication of this result is spin-off policy had a good effect on the growth of deposit funds in Indonesian Islamic banking industry. Spin-off decision is one of the business strategies from Islamic banks and not the goal of Islamic banking industry.
Full Text : PDF
- Al Arif, MNR, 2014, ‘The Impact of Spin-off Policy on Islamic Banking Industry in Indonesia’, Economic Journal of Emerging Market. Vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 50-55.
- Al Arif, MNR, 2015, Keterkaitan Kebijakan Pemisahan Terhadap Tingkat Efisiensi pada Industri Perbankan Syariah di Indonesia (The Relationship of Spin-off Policy To Efficiency Ratio in The Indonesian Islamic Banking Industry), Jurnal Keuangan dan Perbankan. Vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 295-304.
- Al Arif, MNR, 2015, The Effect of Spin-off Policy on Financing Growth in Indonesian Islamic Banking Industry, Journal Al-Ulum, Vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 173-184.
- Al Arif, M.N.R, 2015, Impact of Spin-off Policy on The Asset Growth on Indonesian Islamic Banking Industry, Journal of Islamic Economics, Banking, and Finance, Vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 41-52
- Al Arif, M.N.R., Nachrowi, ND, Nasution, ME, & Mahmud, TMZ, 2017, The Islamic Banking Spin-Off: Lessons from Indonesian Islamic Banking Experience, JKAU: Islamic Economics, Vol. 30 no. 2, pp. 117-133.
- Andriyanti, A & Wasilah, 2010, Faktor-faktor yang Mempengaruhi Deposito Mudharabah di Bank Muamalat Indonesia (The Factors that Influence the Mudharabah Deposit Funds at Bank of Muamalat Indonesia), Paper at Simposium Nasional Akuntansi XIII, Universitas Jenderal Soedirman Purwokerto.
- Cristo, DA & Falk, RW, 2006, Spinoffs and Carveouts: Some Factors Leading to Successful Divestiture, Competition Forum, Vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 331-347
- Elfring, T & Foss, NJ, 1997, Corporate Renewal Through Internal Venturing and Spin-offs: Perspectives from Organizational Economics, Working Paper 97-7, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy Copenhagen Business School.
- Endri, 2011, The Evalution of Technical Efficiency in Indonesian Banks: Using the Two-Stage DEA, Paper at Forum Riset Perbankan Syariah IV. Jakarta: The Indonesian Association of Islamic Economist and Bank of Indonesia.
- Hamid, A, 2015, The Impact of Spin-off Policy to The Profitability on Indonesian Islamic Banking Industry, Al-Iqtishad: Jurnal Ilmu Ekonomi Syariah (Journal of Islamic Economics), Vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 117-126.
- Haribowo, I, 2017, The Indonesian Islamic Bank’s Spin-Off: A Study in Regional Development Banks, Al-Iqtishad: Jurnal Ilmu Ekonomi Syariah (Journal of Islamic Economics), Vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 53-68.
- Hidayat, R, Sabarudin, A & Machmud, 2015, Effects of Service Quality, Customer Trust and Customer Religious Commitment on Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty of Islamic Banks in East Java, Al-Iqtishad: Jurnal Ilmu Ekonomi Syariah (Journal of Islamic Economics), Vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 151-164
- Kasri, RA, 2010, The Determinant of Islamic Banking Growth in Indonesia, Journal of Islamic Economics, Banking and Finance, Vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 41 – 64.
- Kiswono, B. ,2012, Islamic Business Unit’s Spin-off: Barrier and Strategy. Working paper, Jakarta: Bank Indonesia.
- Miftah, K & Wibowo, H, 2017, Merger and Industrial Acceleration: Study at Indonesian Islamic Banking Industry, Signifikan: Jurnal Ilmu Ekonomi, Vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 29-48.
- Nasuha, A, 2012, Dampak Kebijakan Spin-Off Terhadap Kinerja Bank Syariah (The Impact of Spin-off Policy on Islamic Bank Performance), Al-Iqtishad: Jurnal Ilmu Ekonomi Syariah (Journal of Islamic Economics), Vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 241-258.
- Novarini, 2009, Efisiensi Unit Usaha Syariah Menggunakan SFA: Derivasi Fungsi Profit dan BOPO (The Efficiency of Islamic Business Unit using SFA: Profit Function and BOPO Derivation), (Unpublished Thesis), Depok [ID]: University of Indonesia.
- Pramuka, BA, 2011, Assesing Profit Efficiency of Islamic Banks in Indonesia: An Intermediation Approach, Journal of Economics, Business and Accountancy Ventura, Vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 79-88
- Ramdani, A, 2015, Pengaruh Kebijakan Pemisahan Terhadap Laba Pada Bank BNI Syariah (The Effect of Spin-off Policy on Profit at Bank of BNI Sharia), Etikonomi, Vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 17-34.
- Sari, IM, Wibowo, H, & Suprapto, E, 2015, Factors that Influenced People to Become Islamic Bank Customer: A Study on Kanca Villagers, Al-Iqtishad: Jurnal Ilmu Ekonomi Syariah (Journal of Islamic Economics), Vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 73-86
- Siswantoro, D, 2014, Analysis of Islamic Banks Performance and Strategy After Spinoff as Islamic Full-Pledge Scheme in Indonesia, International Conference on Accounting Studies, 18 – 19 August 2014, pp. 41-48
- Soma, AM, Primiana, I, Wiryono, SK, & Febrian, E, 2017, Religiosity and Islamic Banking Product Decision: Survey on Employees of PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia, Etikonomi, Vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 25-42.
- Suryani & Hendryadi, 2015, A Developing Model of Relationship Among Service Quality, Customer Satisfaction, Loyalty and Word of Mouth, Al-Iqtishad: Jurnal Ilmu Ekonomi Syariah (Journal of Islamic Economics), Vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 45-58
- Usman, H, 2015, The Role of Religious Norms on Selecting The Islamic Bank, Al-Iqtishad: Jurnal Ilmu Ekonomi Syariah (Journal of Islamic Economics), Vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 31-44