Regional Economic Communities, the Organisation of African Unity / African Economic Community, the Lagos Plan of Action / Final Act of Lagos
This paper looks at some of the reasons for the existence of the phenomena of political and economic integration in Africa. The paper addresses what the concepts of integration mean. It also examines some of the theoretical frameworks and approaches to integration. The paper further tries to answer the question, why is integration important? This is examined from the point the challenges confronting African. The article however moves on to address the reality on the ground. It looks at some of the issues causing the contingent to keep â€˜marking timeâ€™. Since the days of the Organisation of African Unity; Unity has arguable eluded Africa. .These include the multiplicity of regional groups, sheer lack of Political and the division between the so-called â€˜gradualistsâ€™ and â€˜radicalsâ€™. For integration to flourish and help address Africanâ€™s numerous problems, the ruling elites will have to recommit themselves to integration and not rely on rhetoricâ€™s. Ordinary Africans and the African Diaspora must as a matter of necessity is at the core of integration in Africa. These are some of the recommendations outlined to help get integration off its marks.
Full Text : PDF
- Richardson, J. (2001) ed., European Union- Power and policy-making (2nd). London: Routledge.
- Babarinde, F. (2003) Regionalism and Economic Development in Nnadozie, E., (ed.), African Economic Development. USA: Academic Press
- CAMEI(2006:14) Consultative meetings of Accra and Lusaka: Consolidated Report First Conference of African Ministers of Economic Integration (CAMEI)Meeting of Experts 27-28 March 2006 Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso)
- http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geuo4Yh.ZGwEwAd51LBQx.?p=CONSULTATIVE+MEETINGS+OF+ACCRA+AND+LUSAKA%3A+&y=Search&fr=moz2&rd=r1, Date Accessed: 6th September 2007
- COMES, http://www.comesatradehub.com/NewsDetail.asp?news_id=367&
- Date Accessed: 6th June 2007
- Deeb, M.(1993) The Arab Maghribi Union and the prospect for North African Unity in W. Zartman and W. Habeeb (ed.), Polity and Society in Comtemporary. USA:North Africa Westview Press.
- Chime, C. (1977) Integration and Politics among African states: Linitations and horizons of mid-term theorizing. Copenhagen: Reklametryk.
- Coffey, P. (1995), The Future of Europe. USA: Edward Elgar Publishing
- Harsch, E (2002) Africa Recovery, Vol.16 #2-3 (September 2002),
- Date Accessed: 2th June.2007
- Hellinger, D & Hammond, R(1994) debunking the myth, Africa Report special section on structural adjustment ,53 November –December
- Date Accessed: 20th Nov.2006
- Mazzeo,D.(ed.), (1984) African Regional Oganizations. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- McCormick, J. (1999) Understanding the European Union: A concise Introduction. London: Macmillan
- Muuka, G (:1998) Defense of World Bank and IMF Conditionality in Structural Adjustment Programs, Journal of Business in Developing Nations Volume 2
- Nnadozie, E (2003) . Ed African Economic Development San Diego, CA:
- Academic Press,
- Nye Jnr., J. (1969) Pan-Africanism and East African Integration. Massachuesetts: Harvard University press.
- Rothchild, D. (ed.), (1968) Politics of Integration: An East African documentary. East African Publishing House
- Soori, B (2003) Regional Economic Communities as a development in African: Lessons Learnt, Dissertation (Master of Arts) University of East Anglia
- Zartman, W & Habeeb, W.(1993) (ed.), Polity and Society in Contemporary USA :North Africa West view Press.