EDI technology, electronic documents, information systems, retail efficiency, transmission
India has already proven its mettle as a superpower in the arena of information technology. The retail industry offers to bloom to the same level of conducive environment and support is provided to it. â€˜Retail is detailâ€™ is the mantra and without effective use of IT, managing a successful retail enterprise could be quite impossible. Retailers and their vendors are now able to transfer data between themselves through the use of Electronic Data Interchange technology. This article divulges the significance and applications of EDI technology from management perspective that facilitates almost paperless transactions with high levels of efficiency in retail industry
Full Text : PDF
- A.J. Lamba, The Art of Retailing, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi, 3/e, (2008), 247.
- Stuart Swabini, EDI and the Internet, Journal of Business Strategy, Vol. 22, January-February 2001, 42.
- Scott Bury, Piggly Wiggly’s Doing It, Manufacturing Business Technology, February 2005, 43.
- Barry Berman and Joel R. Evans, Retail Management: A Strategic Approach, Pearson Education, Delhi, 10/e, (2009), 236, 238,446,454-455,460.
- Peter Perrotta, EDI Lowers Transaction Costs for Texas Grocer, Supermarket News, February 18, 2002, 19.
- “Action Plan to Accelerate Trading Partner Electronic Collaboration”, A T Kearney, September 2003, 1-15.
- Michael Levy, Barton A Weitz and Ajay Pandit, Retailing Management, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi, 6/e, (2008), 321-323.
- Tom Zeller Jr., The Scramble to Protect Personal Information, New York Times, June 9, 2005, B1.
- Swapna Pradhan, Retailing Management, Text & Cases, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi, 3/e, (2009), 453.
- David Gilbert, Retail Marketing Management, Pearson Education, Delhi, 2/e, (2006), 216, 221-223, 351-352.
- Gibson G. Vedamani, Retail Management, Jaico Publishing House, Mumbai, 2/e, (2004), 97, 134.
- “You’ll Be Upgrading: Big Retailers Want Tech-Savvy Vendors”, Business Week, March 14, 2005, www. businessweek.com