Human Resources Development, Mechanisms, Learning, Performance Appraisal, Performance Rewards, Teamwork
Purpose of the Paper: This study aimed to explore the impact of human resources development mechanisms on building teamwork.
Design/Methodology: The study has used the descriptive analytical approach, where a questionnaire was employed as the study instrument. The questionnaire consisted of (3) demographic variables and (25) items that were put together to measure the impact of human resources development mechanisms on building teamwork. The study population consisted of all male and female employees that work at five-star hotel chains in the Jordanian capital Amman, which amounts to (15) hotels up until the end of 2017, while the sample of the study consisted of (339) male and female employees, which was chosen using the stratified proportional random sample. (355) questionnaires were distributed; only (346) of them were retrieved, where the loss amounted to (9), and (7) questionnaires were excluded due to their invalidity for analysis.
Findings: The results showed that there is an impact of human resources development mechanisms and its variables (learning, performance appraisal, performance rewards) on building teamwork at (α ≤ 0.05).
Practical Implications and Originality Statement: This study will be beneficial for the hotel chains in Amman in general, and for five-star hotel chains in the Jordanian capital Amman and its affiliations in specific. This study can motivate the hotel chains in Jordan to design an accurate strategy that might help them increase the teamwork among their employees.
The researcher certifies that the intellectual content of this paper is the product of her own work and that it has not been submitted elsewhere. The researcher also certifies that all the assistance received in preparing it as well as sources have been acknowledged.
Full Text : PDF
- Biron, M., Farndale, E., and Paauwe, J. (2011). Performance Management Effectiveness: Lessons from World-Leading Firms. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 22(6), pp.1294–1311.
- Ebimobowei, A., Felix, T., and Wisdom, S. (2012). Human Resource Development Mechanism and the Performance of Public Sector Accountants. Current Research Journal of Social Sciences, 4(3), pp.246-255.
- Fapohunda, T. (2013). Towards Effective Team Building in the Workplace. International Journal of Education and Research, 1(4), pp.1-12.
- Hanaysha, J. and Tahir, P. (2016). Examining the Effects of Employee Empowerment, Teamwork, and Employee Training on Job Satisfaction. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 219, pp.272-282.
- Jain, V. (2014). An Overview of Human Resource Development Programmes in Indian Industries. IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 16(3), pp.21-31.
- Jain, V. (2014). Performance Appraisal as a Sub-system of HRD–A Case Study. IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 16(1), pp.26-34.
- Jiang, X. (2010). How to Motivate People Working in Teams. International Journal of Business and Management, 5(10), 223-229.
- Jirjahn, U. and Poutsma, E. (2013). The Use of Performance Appraisal Systems: Evidence from Dutch Establishment Data. Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, 52(4), pp.801-828.
- Jordan Hotel Association (2017). JHA Annual Report 2017. Retrieved 04/03/2018 from http://johotels.org/Photos/Files/71418111-8f00-4b30-bafa-8526e45b726e.pdf
- Karabat, B. and Çaliş, Ş. (2017). Team Based Performance Appraisal Systems: Scale Development and Validation. The Sakarya Journal of Economics, 6(1), pp.30-55.
- Kesti, M. (2012). Organization Human Resources Development Connection to Business Performance. Procedia Economics and Finance, 2, pp.257-264.
- Manzoor, S., HafizUllah, Hussain, M., Ahmad, Z. (2011). Effect of Teamwork on Employee Performance. International Journal of Learning and Development, 1(1), pp.110-126.
- Matthews, R. and McLees, J. (2015). Building Effective Projects Teams and Teamwork. Journal of Information Technology and Economic Development, 6(2), pp.20-30.
- Popova-Nowak, I. and Cseh, M. (2015). The Meaning of Organizational Learning: A Meta-Paradigm Perspective. Human Resource Development Review, 14(3), pp.299-331.
- Richman, N. (2015). Human Resource Management and Human Resource Development: Evolution and Contributions. Creighton Journal of Interdisciplinary Leadership, 1(2), pp.120-129.
- Rohit, D. (2017). Human Resource Development: Policies and Practices in Private Sector Banks in Gujarat. Voice of Research, 6(1), pp.44-49.
- Rusuli, C., Nazri, M., Mohammad, I., Fauzan, H., Suhaila, A., Azemawati, I., and Hasannuddiin, H. (2017). The Mediating Effect of Employee Competencies on the Relationship between Human Resource Development Practice and Service Performance among Front Line Employees in Hotel Industries. International Journal of Applied Business and Economic Research, 15(22), pp.451-464.
- Saraswat, N. and Khandelwal, S. (2015). Impact of Team Building Exercises on Team Effectiveness. International Journal of Marketing and Human Resource Management, 6(3), pp.89-97.
- Saraswathi, S. (2010). Human Resources Development Climate: An Empirical Study. International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology, 1(2), pp.174-179.
- Solkhe, A. and Chaudhary, N. (2011). HRD Climate and Job Satisfaction: An Empirical Investigation. International Journal of Computing and Business Research, 2(2), pp.1-20.
- Tohidi, H. (2011). Teamwork Productivity and Effectiveness in an Organization Base on Rewards, Leadership, Training, Goals, Wage, Size, Motivation, Measurement and Information Technology. Procedia Computer Science, 3, pp.1137-1146.
- Uddin, M., Naher, K., Bulbul, A., Ahmad, N., and Rahman, M. (2016). The Impact of Human Resource Development (HRD) Practices on Organizational Effectiveness: A Review. Asian Business Review, 6(3), pp.131-140.
- Vermeeren, B., Steijn, B., Tummers, L., Lankhaar, M., Poerstamper, R., and Van Beek, S. (2014). HRM and Its Effect on Employee, Organizational and Financial Outcomes in Health Care Organizations. Human Resources for Health, 12(1), p.35.
- Wickramasinghe, V. and Dolamulla, S. (2017). The Effects of HRM Practices on Teamwork and Career Growth in Offshore Outsourcing Firms. Global Business and Organizational Excellence, 36(2), pp.46-60.
- Wickramasinghe, V. and Liyanage, S. (2013). Effects of High-Performance Work Practices on Job Performance in Projectbased Organizations. Project Management Journal, 44(3), pp.64–77.
- Widmann, A., Messmann, G., and Mulder, R. (2016). The Impact of Team Learning Behaviors on Team Innovative Work Behavior: A Systematic Review. Human Resource Development Review, 15(4), pp.429-458.